DISCLAIMER:
Welcome, or fuck you, depending.
I'm not here to tell you how many calories you can burn roller skating, I'm here to incite and entertain.
Take me or leave me.

Monday, September 13, 2010

Week Four: A Reflection on the Question...

How did I start a roller derby league?


I went to a party on Labor Day in Chico where I went to College. Some old friends asked me what was new, and the only thing that was new was well, “I started a roller derby league”. This doesn’t really shock my friends because roller derby is all that has come out of my mouth for years, but I guess the fact that our facebook page is nearing 200 friends and my constant status updates have actually peaked enough interest to earn me a “Ya I saw that on facebook. How’d you do that anyways?”


I was speechless. I honest to god did not know what to say in response to that. I stared dumbly at the grass, and the guy literally just went on speaking to someone else, while I blanked out thinking to myself “how the fuck DID I start a roller derby league?”

I had beer in me and frankly my mind was a jarbled mess, and I thought “facebook, flyers, um… blackberry commericial, pizza party…” haha. Like, how your life flashes before your eyes before you die? -Little blurbs of the last 3 weeks all flashed before my eyes in a drunken labor day haze and I was confused. Impressed with my own success, and flabbergasted.

Tonight was no different when I jumped up and down with glee as I counted 10 whole bodies doing actual pack work and not just T Stops and Plows.  I couldn’t restrain myself.

This practice was the beginning of week four of EBRD. 10 girls showed up, including one new member, bringing our total to 14 committed skaters, -a whole team! In less than a month!

Did I mention tonight is the beginning of week 4 and we are doing pack work? Ya. Seriously. Celebration is in order.


But while we press on, I will continue to reflect and ponder that question… Because I had been wanting to start a league for years, and have had a few failed attempts, and I myself am not even sure what came together to make it stick this time. I’ll tell you when I figure it out.

What I do know for now is, I have Nancy and Scott- my fellow supportive executive committee members, to thank.

Mad Derby Love for you both

Auntie

No comments:

Post a Comment